Friday, January 16, 2009

Ice Road Bikers


Winter Cycle-Commuting, with the right gear you can do it in comfort (or at least minimal discomfort) and style.

I rode into the shop from Somerville to Newton today, about an eleven mile, forty-something minute trip. The temperature was 5 degrees "Feels like 0". This about the coldest it will get for New England commuting. It can get worse, particularly in March due to the cold/precipitation combo, but it likely won't get colder than 5. Dealing with March-Weather-Madness is an entirely different topic, today we're going to talk about riding in the straight up brutal cold and wind.


Microsensor FaceMask

We'll start with the head. You have to keep the head warm. I Start with a Balaklava style covering like Pearl Izumi's Microsensor Facemask (pictured above). You will look like a Ninja and your head, neck, and ears will be fully protected.

Don't I look like a Ninja?





In sub-twenty degree temperatures overkill in the head covering department is never a bad thing. Today I used the Castelli Striscia Knit Beanie (pictured above). It kept me warm and looked good too. If it were just a wee bit warmer I would recommend the Pearl Izumi Accelerator Hat. That and a Facemask will get you through the majority of the winter.



The Core. If the core gets cold you are sunk. By keeping your core warm you will help keep the rest of your body warm as well. I start with the Defeet D-Shurt as a base for wicking sweat away from my body. I then add a heavier thermal layer like Pearl Izumi's P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey (pictured above).


For the next layer I go with Fisher's Marino Wool Long Sleeve Jersey (pictured above). Marino wool isn't itchy at all, doesn't lock in bad odors, and keeps you comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. This is also a piece you can wear out to the pub/cafe/ whatever and look wicked stylin'.



For the outer layer I've been using The Gore Alp-X Jacket (pictured above).Gore is a new product line for IBC and we are really excited about it. This jacket is 100% water and wind proof, has excellent venting, and a very bike-friendly fit. The really cool thing about a piece like this is you can wear it day in, day out but if it does rain or snow you are totally covered. You'll be warm and dry. The fact that I wore it today while the temps were in the single digits means that I won't need another outerlayer besides this one. Layer it up underneath and you are ready to rock and or roll.

Another great option in this department is The Pearl Izumi Attack Jacket.

The extremities, your hands and feet are the guys who generally suffer for the cause of all-weather riding. On a typical winter day a Pearl Izumi AmFIB Glove (pictured above top) or Lobster AmFIB Glove will do the trick when it's this cold I throw a Pearl Izumi Ultra-Lite Liner Glove (pictured above) underneath for good measure. I can't remember the last time I was riding around in this weather going "Man, my hands are too warm!".



Your feet. I can not have warm enough feet. Sometimes I race in wool socks in July. Call me Crazy, I'll answer to it. For the worst winter weather I go with the DeFeet Blaze Marino Wool Sock. It's as heavy weight as I can go without constricting my feet and cutting off circulation. This is a common mistake, trying to jam too many layers of socks into a tight-fitting cycling shoe. Don't do it! Go with a sock which allows your feet wiggle room then add layers EXTERNALLY.

For extreme conditions I'll take an old DeFeet wool sock, cut a hole in the bottom, and slide it OVER my shoe before putting my Booties on for added warmth.





Once it drops below 30 Degrees I use these puppies exclusively. The Pearl Izumi AmFIB Shoe Cover (pictured above). They keep you warm and dry through the worst of it.

For the lower-end I start with a Giordana Bib Short (shh, we currently have tons of Team IBC and Independent Fabrication Elite Team Giordana Bib Shorts and Jerseys on Closeout at the shop). The same shorts I wear in the summer, nothing special there.


I follow that with a pair of Pearl Izumi Therma-Fleece Leg Warmers and top it all off with a pair of Pearl Izumi AmFIB tights which are both wind and water proof. On your average winter day that is more than adequate but when it's below 10 I toss a pair of Pearl Izumi Therma-Fleece Tights on over the bib/leg-warmer combo for good measure.



Eye-wear is key for riding in the cold and the wet. Ever gone skiing in the snow without goggles? You only try it once. The best pair of glasses I've come across for riding day or night are the Tifosi Forza FC's. They use "Fototec" technology which allows them to become almost clear in dark conditions and become adequately dark in bright conditions.


Gearing up with these items will allow you to commute by bike throughout the year in any conditions. Come into International and consult with one of our commuting experts or if you have any questions feel free to comment below.

Stay tuned for the next post in this series; how to outfit your bike for winter commuting. We'll talk about bags, lighting systems, and all sorts of other fascinating stuff.

1 comment:

33rd Degree Bison said...

Damn you!!! You beat me to the winter commuting column. Now everyone will know that you are the superior winter cyclist because you have a sweet red T.H.E fender and are not a procrastinator. Well played sir.